Friday, November 1, 2013

Welcome to the Zombie Dead & Breakfast

Halloween is finally over. The second I got home from taking my son to school this morning, I packed up all our Halloween decor. But I had to wait to post these awesome signs I custom made for a customer/friend. They are buying a new house and she wanted something to fit her ultra-cool zombie-themed (YES!) kitchen. So this is what we came up with:


Aren't they great?! If I do say so myself! I love how old and creepy they turned out. I love the wiry old cat giving his evil eyes. I love the little skulls (hard to see on the picture) for dollar signs. In all honesty, I did both of these signs in an afternoon. They were very easy. The fact that they were made to look old and scary actually added to the ease. Perfection was not a must. In fact, imperfection added to the perfection of these signs.

I started with two very worn pieces of wood. They were gray and cracking which was a bonus because then I had less manual distressing to do. Hubby cut them to size and I dry brushed them with a mix of black and green on my brush. I didn't actually mix the paint, but let it sort of swirl on my brush.

After allowing to dry, I got to work transposing the lettering on the paint with chalk (more about this on another post).

Once all the lettering was done, I took them outside and ran the sand paper over them to allow the cracking of the wood to show through. In the process of distressing the paint, some of the lettering wore too thin so I had to redo some of it.

I used screws and twine on the back for a hanger.

These were a surprise for her husband for their Halloween wedding anniversary. I can't wait to see them in their new house. They get the key next week!! Wishing them all the best in their new house!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment