You can read all about the first part of my journey with chalk paint HERE
Pictures below.
Day 2 is complete. I have to say I was a bit panicky about mid way through today. I have followed the steps. Remember, I wanted to do everything "right." I cleaned with the abomination that is denatured alcohol, to remove any grease build up. I painted. And I painted some more. I ended up with a streaky finish but figured I'd leave it overnight and do a second coat.
So here we are at day 2, and I have to be honest, I didn't do a second coat. I tried, and it make the paint more streaky. But the grease buildup that we supposedly cleaned with the denatured alcohol, has seeped through the paint. When I painted the second coat, it seeped through again! This is what made me panic. I decided to go ahead and put a layer of wax on it and see how it finished off the paint. I did one coat of the clear and immediately followed up with dark. I know, I know, I'm supposed to wait 24 hours but I really wanted to see what it would do. I really hated the dark wax. It really yellowed my grey paint, which is actually supposed to be blue. So I quickly rubbed out what I could. Some of it's still there but I don't think you can see it. On the plus side, the wax hides the seeping-through grease.
Today, I also did the edges of the cabinet doors. It's getting to be one of those projects that I just want to be over. There is still a long way to go. I had to walk away from it tonight.
As of today:
I'm not loving it. I looks like a messy paint job. I love the color, no doubt about that, but it looks like I just slapped it on, even though it's taken me two whole days and I'm still not finished. My opinion thus far is that chalk paint is highly overrated. I honestly thought that once I got this paint on these cabinets, you'd have to physically stop me from painting the world. Eh, not so much. I love the color, and I love some of the effects that one (not I) can do with the paint, but I think with a little creativity, you can get the same effect with regular paint, and it's a whole lot less. Oh yeah, speaking of price, I had to stop a little short and cut a few corners to keep from buying a THIRD can. Nope, one can does not cover it. (Don't look behind my fridge, or open my cabinets!)
To summarize my thoughts so far on Chalk Paint:
1. Does not go as far as one might think.
2. Goes on very streaky and not smooth.
3. Even though it says no prep, I think I could have saved a lot of money if I started with a primer paint.
4. Does not cover as easily or thoroughly as one might think.
5. It does clean up nicely, and the colors are lovely.
Stay tuned for part three of Operation Kitchen Cabinets.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please comment