In true Misty Fashion, when my son said he wanted a goodie to take to school for his birthday, I couldn't do the ordinary store bought cupcakes or cookies that every kid does. So I decided to do a rainbow cake. In
all honesty, this particular one was from a box, but you could easily do this with a regular white cake and food coloring (which was all that was in the box) and Duncan Hines probably would taste better. Here is the box I used, and no, I did not pay ten bucks for it. They had it at Target for $3!
To match the rainbow cake, I also bought rainbow cupcake liners. I did 8 of each color so they matched evenly. (Yes, I am OCD like that!)
Next, the box calls for 3 egg whites, 2 tablespoons of oil, and 1.5 cups of water. Then you beat for about three minutes.
Once the batter is completely mixed, you scoop it in 3/4 cups into 6 separate bowls. Then you add the food coloring. The coloring potion on the box is as follows:
Red: 15 drops red
Blue: 14 drops blue
Orange: 5 drops yellow, 2 drops red
Green: 9 drops yellow, 2 drops blue
Yellow: 8 drops yellow
Purple: 7 drops red, 2 drops blue
Once each individual bowl is mixed with the coloring, you layer the batter into the cups, being careful not to mix the batter. The directions on the box was for a whole cake so I had to improvise a bit.
Then I just baked them for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees and voila! They were done. After they cooled, I used regular Betty Crocker Devil's Food frosting in a pastry bag and a small star tip and squiggled the frosting on the top, and finished off with some mini chocolate chips.
Now my son has a fun, yummy treat for his classmates that no one has done before! Overall, it was time consuming, but pretty easy. Like I said before, if I were to do this again, I would buy a better cake mix and use regular food coloring. The cupcakes turned out a bit dry and they have kind of a fruity taste to them. I opened up my dishwasher to finishing loading and it smelled like a strawberry jam in there from the cake batter. But it does look pretty!!
I've linked up here:
It's So Very Cheri
Nifty Thrifty Things
Twigg Studios
DIY Showoff
Life on Lakeshore Drive
Monday
A Round Tuit
The Dedicated House
Maison de Pax
Tuesday
Kammy's KornerNot Just a Housewife
Love Grows Wild
Our Home Away From Home
City Farmhouse
A Stroll Through Life
Cozy Little House
The DIY Dreamer








No comments:
Post a Comment
Please comment